Acts 17:25b
"...He himself gives to all mortals life and breath and all things..."
What IS Yoga:
An ancient set of postures and principles used to focus attention on union of body, breath and spirit in order to increase our awareness of the present moment. As we learn to pay attention to this unity of body and spirit, we can become aware of God’s actual presence in our souls in a new and vital way. It becomes a way to “practice the presence of God”, opening our hearts, minds, and spirits to God’s love and compassion for all living beings.
An ancient set of postures and principles used to focus attention on union of body, breath and spirit in order to increase our awareness of the present moment. As we learn to pay attention to this unity of body and spirit, we can become aware of God’s actual presence in our souls in a new and vital way. It becomes a way to “practice the presence of God”, opening our hearts, minds, and spirits to God’s love and compassion for all living beings.
What Yoga is NOT:
It is NOT a religion, though it developed in the East has been adopted heavily by Eastern religions
It is NOT just another form of exercise…though it is often used as such
It is NOT a “work-out”…it is a “work-in”
What Yoga does:
Physically: increases your core and large muscle group strength, flexibility, balance and co-ordination
Mentally: calms and quiets your mind, helps you focus attention, places you in the present moment.
Spiritually: opens your heart to spending this very moment with the Lord.
Have a blessed week ..... and don't forget to
BREATHE!
I just wrote about my experience with this class or worship gathering here:
ReplyDeletehttp://blogtimistic.wordpress.com/2009/09/10/yoga/
I loved it! I lived in India from January-March this year and there I learned that yoga is a part of their temple worship, which made me feel awkward about practicing yoga, which I love. It was so refreshing to experience yoga redeemed for worship of the One true God, who is not part of us but is in us.
Is there any thought to splitting into two classes since there were so many of us we were crowding each other out? Perhaps a beginner and an intermediate? I would love an earlier time if there was one, but either way I will be there whenever I can! Thanks for leading us in worship!